Seared Scallops, Black Pudding, Pickled Baby Vegetables, Toasted Hazelnuts
- 12 Scallops cleaned and roe removed
- 4 slices Derry Clarke @home black pudding
- 8 baby carrots – peeled & blanched
- 8 peeled baby onions
- 4 baby fennel – blanched
- ½ cucumber deseeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 200ml good quality white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g brown sugar
- 150ml white wine
- 100g toasted hazelnuts
- 1 tub of Fage yoghurt
- In a pot add sugar, vinegar, wine, star anise, bay leaves, fennel seeds and bring to boil. ( if it’s too tart add more sugar, if it’s too sweet add more vinegar). Remove from heat, add vegetables and leave to cool.
- Heat a frying pan until hot, add a little vegetable oil and sear the scallops on each side for 1 min, do not overcook.
- Heat a frying pan, add a little vegetable oil and brown the black pudding on each side.
- Place pudding and scallops on plate, dress with vegetables, yoghurt and hazelnuts and serve with a crisp salad.
- Try and use fresh scallops (frozen scallops can contain too much water)
- You can pickle any vegetables of your choice.
- Salmon or mackerel can be used instead of scallops.